Wednesday 10 January 2018

A motor bike in distress?




A motor bike in distress?

When I was a child I had a dog. One day the dog was showing giving unusual attention to a hole [on the ‘muckbanks’ by the Sunny Hollow] - it was thought that the hole was a ‘rabbit hole’ of which there were a number in the vicinity. Being curious I examined the hole and to my surprise found that it contained a motor cycle engine. 

I excavated the remainder of the debris and pulled out what I identified as a Velocette single cylinder engine, later I was to discover that it was of 350 cc. The alloy crankcase was cracked - having apparently been subjected to considerable trauma - but apart from that the engine was in fine condition. 

I often wondered how the engine got into such an unusual situation, and would imagine all sorts of explanations. And I asked many people who I thought might know - but nobody seemed to have any idea. 

Of course I took the ‘find’ home, and in the interest of science ‘took it to bits’ - most of which were given away by my mother during a periodic clear-out. I managed to retain the cylinder head and barrel for a few years - they were not available at the time of the clear-out - but after a few years in my possession they disappeared.

The story does not quite end there.

A few years later a ‘muck-bank’ near the ‘find site’ was operated on by a mechanical digger - and loaded into lorries then taken away - it was assumed for use as building material. 

BUT during the digging - the digger machine came across a Velocette motor cycle - without an engine - apparently it had been buried years before and would not have been available for me to see - had not the driver of the digger chosen to cast it aside as rubbish.

I could not believe my luck - for I instantly linked the two artefacts together. I could not take the remains of the motor cycle home with me - but visited them often and conducted a thorough examination. 

Here is what I found! 

The motor bike had been in a serious collision judging by the damage to the frame and major parts of it - I recall that it still had a single seat ‘saddle’ set so low that it would have been easy to touch the ground with both feet at the same time. 

BUT most important it was painted in the colour of a military machine. I had not the slightest doubt that it was connected with the nearby presence of many military men - especially in the build up to the invasion of Normandy - and that it had been dismantled and buried to hide it - probably following an accident or something similar. The engine being the heaviest part was buried separately - and probably transported in that state - the rest of the bike similarly but to a different place. 

I imagined that whoever had buried it had knowledge of how it came to be so badly damaged - and possibly had been on it at the time of the ‘accident’ - or perhaps less dramatic when it had been in conflict with a truck of some kind - either deliberately or accidentally - and that the person or persons involved had ‘perished in the War’ - leaving no trace of the mystery.

It is possible that I am wrong in any number of my suppositions.

If you have anything to add to this story or any desire to comment - please share your views.


The Editor


Trevor Denton wrote this:

Dodworth Wartime Memories

 

by Barnsley Archives and Local Studies

Contributed by 
Barnsley Archives and Local Studies
People in story: 
Trevor Denton
Location of story: 
Dodworth, Yorkshire
Background to story: 
Civilian
Article ID: 
A3794295
Contributed on: 
16 March 2005


No comments:

Post a Comment